There are several commonly consumed yet dangerous medicines that you should be aware of. The most dangerous prescription drugs may often come in innocuous OTC (over-the-counter) avatars that make it difficult for people to understand their effects. Overdosing is sometimes a significant danger with not only illegal substances but also several common prescription pills too.
Here is a dangerous prescription drugs list that you should take a closer look at:
- Midol- This should be on the top of the bad prescription drugs list since various side effects accompany it. People majorly use Midol to relieve pain and attain some comfort. However, when taken in excessive doses, this painkiller may lead to liver failure and even sudden death. It has APAP (Acetaminophen) and initial overdose symptoms include nausea, loss of appetite, stomach pain, vomiting, weakness, confusion, and sweating. Consume only the dose that is recommended and does not consume other pills that have APAP.
- Tylenol- Tylenol has similar risks as Midol, which is also Acetaminophen. When taken in usual doses, the drug gets relieved via urine. However, some portions may be transformed into byproducts which may impact your liver badly. If you consume excessive amounts, then the liver may not be able to take the same. It may lead to liver failure. Doctors recommend strict consumption of 3,000 milligrams of APAP within 24 hours as a result. Consuming Midol for period-related cramps and Tylenol for cough and cold may lead to a deadly combo that surpasses the recommended dosage. Check and double-check all medicine labels carefully and track your APAP consumption.
- Advil- Advil and other drugs like ibuprofen are mostly NSAIDS or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, leading to gastrointestinal bleeding, ulcers, and even death. NSAID drugs lead to more than 100,000 people being hospitalized and 16,500 people dying in the U.S. every year alone! This happens to be due to wrongful combinations of drugs, overdosing, and incorrect consumption, i.e. not taking these medicines with some milk or other food. You should remember that pain management should be done more safely. A hot bath, yoga, and other methods are much better for relieving painful headaches than consuming medicines.
- Epsom Salt- Epsom Salt is ideal for taking a warm and relaxing bath and is also used in a natural laxative. This is because it contains magnesium sulfate. The dissolution of Epsom salt in water for being used as a laxative has obtained FDA approval. Yet, they may lead to major damages and side effects in some cases. Higher doses may lead to intestinal wall rupturing, infections, and dangerous reactions to other ingested ingredients such as herbs or coffee. Therefore, you should consult your doctor carefully before trying any such treatment. Even something as harmless as Epsom salt may have unwanted side effects.
- Cough Syrup is a lot like many other medicines for cough and cold that have DXM or Dextromethorphan. It does not have serious side effects in most scenarios if consumed as per the doctor’s directives. However, extreme cough syrup dosage may lead to a hallucinatory state, and several individuals often misuse this. They end up extracting DXM from this cough syrup in a powder or pill and commonly overdose on such medicines. Do not stock up on such OTC medicines and track whatever you have already. Do not allow children and teenagers to carry or use these drugs.
You should not ignore the potentially fatal effects, impact, and other dangerous symptoms of OTC medicines that may otherwise appear common and harmless. Talk to your doctor about the correct dosage for any type or form of medicine, and always do your homework before consuming more than a single medicine at a time and always buy medicine from a reliable pharmacy. This directive should be carefully followed, and avoid consuming medication suddenly to relieve any common symptom just because you read it somewhere. Always keep an eye on family members and their medicine usage while consulting the doctor for even the most minor things. This will keep everyone safe from the dangerous side effects of commonly used medicines.